Friday, December 4, 2009

Beaches in Southern Italy--Il Mare Tirreno

The weather has turned rather unseasonably cold here.  Ok, it’s December but it doesn’t usually get this cold so fast in Hood River. I felt totally comfortable in my winter coat, hat, and gloves---actually I could have used a scarf.  I have lived in cold climates all my life so I’m used to it, I can survive.  I have even split a cord or two of wood in my time.  Just to prove I’m not afraid of winter, here I am having a great time on cross-country skis in my silly fake fur comfy ski coat:


Regardless, I have always been a person who loves the sun and the water.  I’ve got the wrinkles to prove it.  We decided to move to Southern Italy in part for the climate, the sea, and the beaches.  There are a lot of warm places in the world with beaches,  I haven’t been to most of them.  I’m sure they are wonderful.  Cozumel, Mexico comes to mind, Hawaii and Florida come to mind. OK, that’s the sum total of ALL the places besides Italy where I have beached.  I’m a romantic and nothing beats the Mediterranean for a romantic.  First, a small Geography lesson.  According to the Italian Tourism website, Italy has 7,600 km of coastline and some of the most beautiful beaches in the Mediterranean--the Ligurian Sea, the Sardinian Sea and the Tyrrhenian Sea in the west, the Sicilian Sea and the Ionian Sea in the south and the Adriatic Sea in the east. The beaches I have seen and enjoyed so far in Italy have all been on the Tyrrhenian Sea, (probably the hardest word to remember how to spell in the world--the Italian is easier Mare Tirreno) and are at or south of the Yellow marker shown below:


What follows are some beach scenes of Italy we have experienced so far.  I am so looking forward to many, many more:

The most southern beach that we experienced was south of Tropea--Capo Vaticano.  Folks come to scuba and snorkel here.



Next--going North up the Coast,
famously beautiful Tropea.  We also
took Italian lessons here.  That's another
story.


This is me snokeling here (or it appears, relaxing either before or after snorkeling).  Just to prove I don't just look and take photos.  Actually, Doug takes most of the photos which is why you almost never see him in a picture.






Coming closer to home, Grand Hotel San Michele, Cetraro.  This lovely hotel has an awesome beach that is reached by an unreal elevator:



And, we end up at our home beaches below Santa Domenica Talao:

See you at the Beach!

18 comments:

  1. Super photos! Well done Doug. Keep them coming! It's been so long since I've been in Calabria and you are making me want to go back, like now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Your photos are wonderful and you definitely live off-the-beaten track (meaning not Venice, Rome, or Florence). I drove down through Calabria on my way to Sicily a few weeks ago and the coastline was divine. Are the beaches open to the public or are there mostly Lido's the way it is in Naples? It's hard to find a public beach in Campania. Most of the coastline bulks with private companies.... so no strolls on the beach during winter for me. Thanks for your posts! (Being from San Diego, a weekly stroll on the beach during winter is usually a must...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara,
    There are Lidos, but there is always a public part where you can plop down all day for free, and the Lido owners can't stop you (or don't) from strolling the beach at the waterline past their businesses. There weren't any Lidos when we were in Tropea but that was in the fall...so maybe they just folded up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos! Have you popped by to read this great blog yet? It's one of my favourites:-
    http://bleedingespresso.com/ blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I just found out I can't edit a comment after finding a mistake.
    Yes, I have found Bleeding Espresso. Always loved the name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    is your skiing pic from Oregon ?
    Please try Silla mountains in winter (they have ski lifts!) and tell me how it is.
    We have ski equipment in our container for Calabria....
    Have a Merry Christmas,
    saluti

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Suzie,
    Yes, it's from the Mt. Hood National Forest in Oregon. We brought our skis to Italy and they got lost in the flight then ended up at our neighbor's house! Will try skiing probably next winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Di, What a surprise. I didn't realize that you had created your own website. Now I know that we won't lose touch when you leave Hood River. Good Job! Marge

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Marge,
    We weren't going to advertise it until we left, since it's supposed to be about BEING in Italy. Thanks to Doug, we do have a lot memories and photos, but I did intend that our Friends and relatives would be able to keep an eye on what we are up to. I'm pleasantly surprised to find your name here. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Le spiagge italiane sono bellissime, io sono nata nella regione di Campania and sono andata in Villeggiatura molte molte volte in un posto che si chiama "Diamante" che e' in Calabria.
    Se puoi vai li', a Diamante, e' cosi' carina.
    Ciao
    An Italian in America who is really really home sick.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was still in America when I wrote this post. Now I live in Italy.
    Where are you in America?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent article. A very nice informational blog. keep posting such stuff.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...