Friday, February 12, 2010

Last Post from the USA

He had come such a long way to this blue lawn, and his dream must have seemed so close he could hardly fail to grasp it. But what he did not know was that it was already behind him, somewhere in the vast obscurity beyond the city, where the dark fields of the republic rolled on under the night.
The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald.   


I picked this American classic to read while sitting on the floor (no furniture) the last few days of our lives in Hood River.  It's eerie and beautiful and somehow perfect for saying goodbye to the US.  
We ran out of room and weight in our baggage.  We each have three bags, one or two of which are overweight, the dog in a big cage, and Doug's golf club bag.  I thought I would hate that bag since it is costing us plenty with Delta...but it's turning out to be the savior of my hiking boots.   
I have always felt slightly foolish keeping touching cards and notes from people over the years.  These memories are consigned to the mail to avoid the tears involved with seeing them in the trash.  We have last minute banking and other post office duties to do, but mostly we are done.  We had better be--we delivered our car to its new owner yesterday.  We still have a few "goodbye" dates and lunches but most people are now in the "see you in Italy" stage of painless farewells.


...for a transitory enchanted moment man must have held his breath in the presence of this continent, compelled into an aesthetic contemplation he neither understood nor desired, face to face for the last time in history with something commensurate to his capacity for wonder.

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful post (I could almost hear a bugle playing when I read the title!).
    See you soon in Italy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you are excited! I will look forward to the next post from Italian soil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picture of Mt. Hood! Just found your blog and I live in Portland. Oregon will miss you but I look forward to your posts from Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much. Gives me a good reason to keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a wonderful blog...beautiful pictures! I'm looking forward to reading more. My husband and I are also fans of House Hunters Intl. You are living our dream. Thanks for blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we are all looking forward to hearing about your next chapter in Italy. Keep us posted on your continuing adventure! Tanti auguri John e Toni

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right now I'm having a very wonderful (for some reason) morning sitting in the Atlanta Sheridan Hotel killing time before our flight to Italy this afternoon. Met a man from Italy, walked the dog in the sun (cold but sunny here), ate a great American breakfast, got free WIFI in the lobby.
    We had a kinda rocky start yesterday, I'll fill you in about that in my first blog from Italy. Thank you all for your good wishes. They mean a lot to us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you had a safe flight, golf clubs & boots arrive safely, & your new adventure is fabuloous.

    See you in La Playa soon???

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful picture. Buon Viaggio!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so excited to be reading this. My mom, myself and our two dogs will be making the move from San Diego to Florence in 5 weeks. The countdown is still exciting, very few panicked moments so far-- but seeing this gives a more concrete feeling to the whole scenario. Thanks for doing it first :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just noticed that my last comment is missing. I said Hi Barbara and Sue!
    and thanks Sunshine (wish you were here--or at least your name-sake).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...