Friday, March 26, 2010

River Walk

Walking in Santa Domenica Talao is an aerobic experience, if you have spent any time here you already know that.  I rely on that fact for the heart-lung portion of my exercise routine because I am not a person who can stay on a tread mill or any other such device for very long.  Five minutes goes by and I think it’s 20.  There are two great walks in S. Domenica—the walk to the top of the hill to the cemetery and the walk down to the river.  The river walk is also a nature walk so I am partial to it.


It starts on our street Via Cappella, named for the small chapel at the bottom of the road.  I still haven’t gotten over how many things there are to look at that are so different from what I am used to.  This walk is the reverse of how I usually like to exercise in that it’s all uphill on the way back but that makes it more fun on the way down looking at everything and saying ciao to neighbors.


This is a very small chapel at the end of our street.  It is still being used.  The first time I came down the steps here, a service was being held inside. 

Below is the walking route as viewed from our terrace marked for you.  The part of the route visible on this photo starts at the chapel and ends at the edge of the canyon down to the river.



At the chapel, we cross the road at the home of what appears to be a lawyer and continue down through the newer residential area.  There are many iron gates and railings in S. Domenica and there is still a place in town that makes them. 


At this portion of the route, I always turn around to look back at how far down we’ve already come.  Our casa is gray with bold white trim.  On the building to the left of ours, you can see the faint remains of the trim.  We chose the historical finish rather than tarting it up with colored paint.  It was the choice of our geometra and I figured he knew more about than we.


We leave town at the contractor’s supply store, Mammoliti.  We bought a sander and a tile cutter there…(hey, it’s Doug and Di, we have to have some DIY going).  Dirt lanes with plants growing in the center always look inviting to me.


We were surprised to find few people around in this area.  It’s clearly being farmed, there are houses, old sheds, fields, grapes, olives, and nature.  There weren’t any dogs or other domestic animals around, so Vince got off his leash.







We made it to the bridge and to the creek.  

The road continued up the other side, but we did not, saving that for another day.  We did not find the name of the creek nor could anyone we asked tell us.  Pina said it was too much dialect, too hard.  

There was a flowered path that went for a short way along the river.  

We explored that until it ended in brush and then faced our up-hill challenge.


6 comments:

  1. This visit has brought back wonderful memories of our trip to Calabria a couple of years ago. Every town and hillside was a treasure trove of delights for me. My grandfather came from Calabria and I was the first to return to his homeland. Enjoying your discoveries through you blog is probably as close as I'll come to living the dream of moving there myself. Mille grazie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness it is gorgeous down there.

    /Looks around the damp rice fields with a slightly sulky expression./

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lindy Lou--hope you burned some virtual calories,
    Louciao, it's my honor to have you read my blog as a descendant of this wondrous region.
    Sarah, come and visit if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciao from Kansas,
    I am loving this blog...it's so nice to get a perspective by "mature," nature-loving folks. So many blogs are written by young'uns and/or focus on food....

    Looking forward to hearing more from Calabria!
    Marybeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Marybeth,
    I know what you mean. There are all kinds of bloggers out there and one just has to find ones niche. Sometimes I feel like I'm the odd one but then I remember I've always felt that way!

    BTW, Doug is planning to finish his food talk on restaurants next time, so ignore that one I guess.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...