Friday, April 23, 2010

Fiume Argentino

We knew that we were living in a National Park (Parco Nazionale del Pollino) but I have to admit that coming from Oregon, I didn’t expect it to be as beautiful or as wild as our forests.  This post will show how my thinking was a bit off.  We haven’t learned a great deal about the natural history yet, but knowledge will come with time spent and effort expended.  Nature doesn't give up secrets casually. The small area we've explored so far is beautiful and still mysterious.


We parked our car in Orsomarso, about ten miles east of Santa Domenica Talao.
We really didn’t know how far up the road the trail started, so we could have parked much further up the road.

It started like our Santa Domenica river walk does, with small gardens in town that slowly give way to forest.  There were signs of tree harvest on a small scale too.





Then, we were very surprised by the breathtaking Fiume Argentino, the Argentino River.  The color of it was bluer than the sky was that day.




We found a very well kept little arboretum not far up the road, which delighted me because I have been trying to identify the famous Castagna (chestnut) trees since we moved here.  




The path was stone.  I had to laugh as I thought of how difficult it would be build such a thing in the Columbia Gorge (cost, ADA, etc.).  We had fun identifying plants and ate lunch there.  No other visitors were around.



People who love the woods built the pedestrian bridge across the river--we could tell.  The flowers were familiar--the trees were not.






The walk ended (it could have gone on much further) at a waterfall.  There was a sign at the bridge to the waterfall saying that it would be safer if you cross one person at a time—because the stringers holding up the bridge are too small—according to ranger Doug.



We turned around knowing we would most definitely come back to explore further up the trail.


8 comments:

  1. Just beautiful! I never realized such places existed in Sicily. It kinds of looks like the Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gil, but errr, that's Calabria, not Sicily. We are not quite that far south. We are south of Naples and north of Tropea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come back end July/begin August and you can see my flat, and then we can go for lunch in the best place deep in the park (further up the trail).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you notice the plaques at the base of the trees? I believe they are the names and dates of birth of children born in Orsomarso and there is a tree planted for each of them. Isn't that a lovely idea?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always an amazing trip in Italy when you just follow your nose. We did that one day and landed up at Morigerati & Sicilì caves. It is a beautiful trip down to them and we have now been four separate times. Each time there has not been anybody else about and it makes you feel like you are the first people to discover it. Your discovery looks beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about that! I guess I was a bit sleepy when I posted. I should know where Calabria is, since I've been there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lesley, No I didn't know what that was all about thanks for the enlightenment.

    John and Toni, Ciao

    Gil, Ciao and Non ti preoccupati!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I accidentally found this blog following a post on facebook, as I'm the brother of Angela of the Vigrì restaurant. Moreover I live in Orsomarso. I just want to congratulate you as a fine and funny writers, as well thanks for the compliments made to my village: honestly we who stably live there don't realize such a beauty and often would preferer to live somewhere else, in a bigger city. Anyway, if you will come back to Orsomarso, please contact us for a better welcoming. Here a website managed by me with news from Orsomarso and contact address for any request. www.abystron.org - unfortunately just in italian.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...